Project abbreviation: ELITR
Project name: European Live Translator
Project coordinator: Ondřej Bojar
- Charles University
- University of Edinburgh
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
Funding: Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Programme under Grant Agreement No 825460
Project duration: January 1st, 2019 to March 31st, 2022
Main key words: Machine translation, Multilingualism, Language diversity, Automated translation, Natural language processing, Service oriented architectures
Background of the research topic: ELITR builds upon the experience of its partners in machine translation and speech processing and advances the state of the art by addressing the following challenges:
- Highly multi-lingual translation.
- Translation of spoken genre, live subtitling.
- Preservation of cross-sentence context, in written documents or spoken sessions.
Goal of the project: Advancement and application of ASR and SLT in Face-to-face, Remote and Hybrid conferences, Robust and efficient systems for machine translation with many source and/or target languages, Coherent translation of larger documents and dialogues, Automatic minuting, i.e. summarizing meetings in the form of structured minutes from speech
Project abstract: ELITR, an EU-funded research and innovation project pushes the frontiers of simultaneous speech translation and document-level translation. Centered around use cases of two user partners, the Supreme Audit Office of the Czech Republic and alfatraining, ELITR is bringing to life:
- Live subtitling in up to 43 languages, with the major test event in April 2021: the EUROSAI 2021 congress of supreme audit institutions,
- Speech translation in alfaview remote conferencing platform.
- Bojar Ondřej, Macháček Dominik, Sagar Sangeet, Smrž Otakar, Kratochvíl Jonáš, Polák Peter, Ansari Ebrahim, Mahmoudi Mohammad, Kumar Rishu, Franceschini Dario, Canton Chiara, Simonini Ivan, Nguyen Thai-Son, Schneider Felix , Stüker Sebastian, Waibel Alex, Haddow Barry, Sennrich Rico, Williams Philip: ELITR Multilingual Live Subtitling: Demo and Strategy. In: Proceedings of the 16th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics: System Demonstrations, Copyright © Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL), Stroudsburg, PA, USA, ISBN 978-1-954085-05-3, pp. 271-277, 2021
- Bojar Ondřej, Srdečný Vojtěch, Kumar Rishu, Smrž Otakar, Schneider Felix, Haddow Barry, Williams Phil, Canton Chiara: Operating a Complex SLT System with Speakers and Human Interpreters. In: Proceedings of Machine Translation Summit XVIII 1st Workshop on Automatic Spoken Language Translation in Real-World Settings, Copyright © Association for Machine Translation in the Americas, Stroudsburg, PA, USA, pp. 23-34, 2021
- Ghosal Tirthankar, Bojar Ondřej, Singh Muskaan, Nedoluzhko Anja: Overview of the First Shared Task on Automatic Minuting (AutoMin) at Interspeech 2021. In print.